It’s time for another Voice of the Average Republican!
1. A repost from a Facebook page called Liberty Kaye, which features transphobic content, guns, conspiracy theories, and a blue charity ribbon parody reading “LIBERALISM – Find A Cure” as its profile image.
The meme post is a photo of Nicolas Cage with his eyes closed, looking blissful. The words on the image read, “WHEN IT’S PRESIDENTS DAY WEEKEND AND NEITHER HILLARY NOR OBAMA ARE PRESIDENT.”
2. Another post from Liberty Kaye: “Pssst! ICE? Check it out… I know where the illegal immigrants are…check the restaurants and business that closed in support of #noimmigrantsday or #Daywithoutimmigrants WHatever they want to call it…just check the places that closed, OK?”
3. A repost from a Facebook page called March Against Monsanto, of an article from a site called AltHealthWorks.com. “After selling a drug responsible for countless thousands of deaths, this mother decided to take her kids overseas…What she found out about how they do vaccines will shock you: “Vaccines are Not for Public Health, It’s Really About Profit” — Former Merck Sales Rep Reveals”
4. A repost from a Facebook page called Support Tebow’s Super Bowl Ad, of an article from LifeNews.com. “This week in 2014: North Korea’s Kim Jong-un Forces Women to Drown Their Babies, Have Abortions”
5. A repost from the same page as #4, also of an article at LifeNews. “Abortionist Haunted by Dream of Baby Who Held On to Her Mother’s Womb While He Aborted Her”
6. Repost from a random person’s Facebook page, of a quote attributed to William Golding. This one is interesting, in the Snopes sense of the word. The original quote is, “Whatever you give a woman, she will make greater. If you give her sperm, she’ll give you a baby. If you give her a house, she’ll give you a home. If you give her groceries, she’ll give you a meal. If you give her a smile, she’ll give you her heart. She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her.”
The meme image is titled, “Now here’s a man who understands women……..” and the quote itself has some additions. Before the quote, someone has added: “I think women are foolish to pretend they are equal to men. They are far superior and always have been.” This was indeed apparently said by Golding, though not in conjunction with the rest of the quote.
At the end of the quote, the image creator has added: “So, if you give her any crap, be ready to receive a ton of shit!” I categorize this as part of the “women on a pedestal” form of sexism.
Persephone: Reading her mother’s Facebook wall so you don’t have to.