Mom sent me a really sweet Easter package over the weekend, and also posted these things on her Facebook page. This is a long one because I’ve started adding commentary.
1. A video repost from a Facebook page called PragerU, which seems to contain the contents of Ben Carson’s head. Video caption: “Black Fathers Matter: You can’t improve black lives if you don’t talk about black fathers.”
2. A repost from the Wall Street Journal Opinion Page’s Facebook page, of an article titled “The Dalai Lama Is Politically Incorrect.” The caption reads, “When the University of California, San Diego announced it had booked a speaker for its June commencement ceremony, students denounced the choice as “offensive,” “oppressive,” an affront to “diversity and inclusiveness.” So what else is new? Well, the speaker is the Dalai Lama.”
Note that the protestors are Chinese students. China considers the Dalai Lama to be an enemy of the state. The article does admit this, but then goes on into an extended tirade about the “language politically correct language of the stereotypical campus social-justice warrior.”
Well, this is a new angle. The author goes on to say, “And as universities fight out these culture wars, they begin to resemble Chinese colleges during the Cultural Revolution. On Chinese campuses 50 years ago, students espoused Maoism by necessity. They also realized they could get ahead by shaming and accusing their peers and profs. It ended in ruined careers—and bloodshed.”
Oh, look. I googled the author. They’re a National Review writer.
3. Repost of a repost of an article from a site called DCWHISPERS.COM. “AMERICAN COUP: No Former President Has Actively Plotted The Overthrow Of His Successor – Until Now”
4. Another repost of a WSJ opinion piece, “The Exhaustion of American Liberalism.” Oh look, respectability politics! See, the protestors in the 50s and 60s were so *polite* and *well-groomed.*
“Unlike the civil-rights movement of the 1950s and ’60s, when protesters wore their Sunday best and carried themselves with heroic dignity, today’s liberal marches are marked by incoherence and downright lunacy—hats designed to evoke sexual organs, poems that scream in anger yet have no point to make, and an hysterical anti-Americanism.”
5. A link to Hannity. “New York Times Confirmed Wiretaps Used Against Trump Aides…ON ITS OWN FRONT PAGE! The media continues to wonder where anyone would get the idea that wiretaps were used in the investigation into Trump.”
Interesting that Hannity is calling it “the investigation into Trump.”
6. A sexist cartoon I won’t pass on.
7. A really toxic link to an article from a site called VACCINES.NEWS. “CDC admits 98 million Americans were given cancer virus via the polio shot –
The CDC has admitted that between 1955–1963 over 98 million Americans received one or more doses of a polio shot which was contaminated with a cancer-causing…”
The comment thread on this post is full of my mom’s friends and relatives connecting this nonsense with all their health problems. I added a late comment (I didn’t see it for a few days) noting, “This isn’t accurate, thankfully. No one was injected with cancer.” No one has responded.
Names and identifying details bleeped to protect the idiotic. Color coded so you can see who’s responding to whom. Orange is my mom. Blue is me. Green is a relative who’s been a healthcare worker for many years.
I also feel compelled to note here that my mother pinned me down a couple of visits ago and told me all about how the government is putting tracking chips in flu shots. This is an otherwise outwardly normal, reasonable, living, breathing, talking human being who also seems to seriously believe these things.
8. Repost from Laura Ingraham, of a Lifezette article called “Trump Supporters Beaten and Bloodied in Berkeley” and claiming “What initially began as a peaceful march in favor of President Donald Trump’s agenda at the University of California, Berkeley quickly morphed into a bloody riot.”
The link leads to a 404, but this one may actually be accurate. An SFGate article notes that as usual, anarchists were the ones who started the violence (not liberals).
9. Repost from Patriot Nation minimizing the Trump-Russia scandal.
10. A repost extolling the values of hard work and bootstraps, and claiming they always lead to success.
11. Apparently we’ve replaced “Al Gore’s private plane means everything he says is a lie, haw haw” with Leonardo DiCaprio’s private plane. Good to see we’re moving along with the times.
Persephone: Reading her mother’s Facebook wall so you don’t have to.